Reduce the burden to maintain issues on TiKV related repositories

In community/issues/118, @tison requested to reduce the entropy of TiKV community governance by associate every repository with one and only one project. For one project, there are many repositories, for example, the repositories in TiKV project are:

tikv
client-c
client-py
client-go
client-java
client-rust
client-cpp
agatedb
async-speed-limit
bytes
client-validator
copr-test
crc64fast
crossbeam
fail-rs
grpc-rs
importer
jemalloc
jemallocator
minitrace-go
minitrace-rust
minstant
mock-tikv
mur3
pprof-rs
procinfo-rs
protobuf-build
raft-engine
rocksdb
rusoto
rust-prometheus
rust-rocksdb
sig-transaction
sysinfo
terraform-tikv-bench
tikv-operator
tikv.github.io
titan
tlaplus-specs
website
yatp

At present, every repository has its own place to track issues in their github repository, for example:

It’s too hard for us to maintain all these issues in so many individual repositories. I propose to close all issue functions on these repositories and only allow to open issues on the tikv repository.

From my perspective, some repositories have clear borderlines, and mixing them doesn’t seem to be a good idea. If there is something wrong with client-cpp, posting issues to the TiKV repo seems confusing. Furthermore, if all issues flow into the TiKV repo, there might be too much email traffic for us to handle. Before this change, if I was interested in AgateDB development, I just need to watch the AgateDB repo. With this change, I may need to watch the whole TiKV repo. As currently we have no way of watching a specific topic in GitHub issue, the email traffic might be too much for me, and I could not focus on a specific repository or topic.

2 Likes

If we have clear roles and people to maintain all the issues from all these repos, it looks good to me to have each their own issue tracking method for each repo.

for example, there are many issues in tikv/website that no one handles them for a long time: https://github.com/tikv/website/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+sort%3Aupdated-desc